Date : 29th June 2020

I hope everyone is OK and surviving the lockdown and building new hopes and ideas following the easing of certain restrictions.

Wednesday night, The Scout Association (TSA) hosted a webinar for the latest information:-

  • Scout HQ / The National Youth Agency (NYA), has publish a 4-stage readiness system – Red, Amber, Yellow, Green (see
  • All face to face to face Scouting is still on hold (Red Level)
  • There is a chance of small groups (6 or less) being able to meet outside for an activity once the safety level is reduced by TSA.  Social distancing measures will have to be maintained.
  • All activities will have a risk assessment signed off at either District or County level before it can proceed.
  • Parents will also have to give written permission for their youngster to attend an activity having seen the risk assessment as I understand it
  • We are at safety level 4 at the moment, with a possibility of moving to level 3. For face to face meetings at the Scout HQ in larger numbers we have to get down to level 1. We will be advised by TSA as to what we can do and when.
  • The cessation of all activities and trading within TSA has created a problem financially which will be ongoing for several years as we get over the current restrictions. In an effort to offset the loss TSA are looking to dispose of some buildings, reduce their workforce and will have to raise the membership fee. This is currently at £29 per annum and will increase to either £36 or £37.50 for March 2021. On top of this there is a levy at both District and County level which adds another £11. Both District and County have discussed what can be done to their levies to help minimize the impact of the rise next year and have also looked at Groups that might have financial problems and what support will be required.

The 18th Ipswich, like all organisations, are making plans for the new normal and what we will need do in the future. Below are our current ideas which we will probably add to:-

  • We will need a risk assessment undertaken by an external professional before any type of return to the building.
  • We already have automatic movement detector to switch lights on in the toilets at the HQ, avoiding the need to touch switches.
  • Implementing a new cleaning regime for all users of the building, before, during and after meetings.
  • We may have to hold meetings at the HQ with smaller numbers whilst we are at safety level 2.
  • We are investigating the installation of a thermal / temperature camera or Non-Contact IR Thermometers. This may help if someone enters the building not knowing they may be carrying an infection.
  • We are reviewing our method of payment i.e BACS, Contactless Card Payment etc.
  • On the Sunday 14th June 2020, we had a successful first-time online Annual General Meeting on Sunday 14th June, it was great to see you all.

There are many hoops to jump through before we can return, we hope you will all be on board with us.

The 18th Ipswich are in a good financial position.

I hope this update helps you understand what’s happening at National level and at the 18th Ipswich. If you have any financial concerns or safety issues relating to your child attending the 18th Ipswich Scout Group, please do not hesitate to contact us.

One of your child’s section leaders will be in contact with you before the end of term.

If anyone could help with risk assessments for activities or would like to Join the leadership Team / Group Executive for the 18th Ipswich, please let us know.


Denise, Stuart & George