Hi Scouters and Executives,
New Opportunities From Covid
Although we may not have had too much to smile about over the last 10 months, since the first lockdown, there have been some good things that have resulted. One of these is the joining of forces by the counties of the Eastern Region (Beds, Cambs, Essex, Herts, Norfolk and Suffolk). Work is underway on programme initiatives and adult recruitment publicity and support. Watch this space for updates soon! Another benefit will be shared activities, more details below about The Big Weekend, an event for all Suffolk Scout Volunteers.
The Big Weekend!
Our Scouting friends in Norfolk would like to invite us to take part in ‘The Big Weekend’ which is happening on-line over the weekend of 27 & 28 February 2021.
What you need to know:
- It is initially opening 100 spaces on a first-come-first-served. Places can be booked here: Registration Form. Please book by 8 February 2021.
- The cost is £10 per household (although each adult volunteer in the household needs to register). Everyone will be posted an event pack a couple of weeks prior to the event.
- The weekend offers a number of formal adult learning sessions, ongoing learning opportunities, an incredible wealth of programme ideas, useful speakers and presentations; and social opportunities.
- After initial booking, participants will be contacted to select which sessions they would like to attend. Zoom details etc will be emailed just prior to the event.
- Overview is available as a PDF here: Schedule.pdf
A brief overview of the sessions is below, but more detailed information can be found in these brochures:
- Hands On (Programme ideas and support): TBW Hands On Session Catalogue.pdf
- Discovery (Ongoing learning and interest): TBW Discovery Session Catalogue 2.pdf
- Adult Learning (Adult Training Modules): TBW Training Module Catalogue.pdf
The weekend promises to be a lot of fun, and a great way to mix.
Further Government Funding – Don’t Miss Out
Sounding a little like movie sequels, the recent Tier 2, Tier 4 and Lockdown 3 periods have all attracted local government restriction grants, totalling almost £8,000 for groups with their own HQ, who have a rateable value to their premises, even if you don’t pay business rates.
For those without your own HQ, who rent a village hall or something similar, or a Unit renting from a Scout Group for example, there is the opportunity to get funding from the Youth Covid-19 Support Fund, which has a £16.5m funding pot. You can apply here DCMS Youth Covid-19 Support Fund Applicant Portal (pwc.com), deadline is 12 February 2021. If you receive money from this source, it can be used towards paying membership (capitation) fees. Your District Commissioner, Deputies and District Treasurer have more details and will be happy to assist you.
Hope to see you very soon.
County Commissioner – Suffolk