From HQ –  September News & Views…

Aerosol camping stoves are cheap and popular with all sorts of campers. However, The Scout Association has recently been made aware of several reports of the aerosols in these stoves exploding.

In at least one case, the incident involved initial problems with the locking lever and gas control dial. Later the gas canister exploded. At this stage we cannot be certain of the exact cause but have learned that this type of equipment has been banned in certain parts of Australia. The apparent reason is overheating resulting in explosion.

Some tips to follow when using this type of stove:

  • Explain to adults and young people about the potential hazards and how to deal with them.
  • Ensure the collar of the canister is properly aligned and seated before using the locking lever.
  • Discard the stove if it cannot be properly aligned and locked without effort.
  • Have a bucket of water on hand to cool-down the stove and extinguish flames.
  • Turn the stove off safely if you hear irregular hissing.
  • Vacate the area in the event of a leak.
  • Don’t use this type of stove for cooking for long periods.
  • Never leave a working stove unattended.
  • Never attempt to turn off an over-flaming stove without protection to hands, arms and eyes.
  • Don’t use this type of stove (indeed any gas stove) in a confined area where gas cannot escape freely.

We strongly advise you to take extra caution when using these types of stoves on camp or during Scouting activities, and to always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines. If you’ve recently experienced issues with these stoves, please let the Safety Team at UK HQ know, by emailing