The 18th Ipswich Scout group formed in 1926. Since 1936 it has been based in a property on Cliff Lane, Ipswich. Originally the property formed part of the Cobbold Family estate, known locally as ‘Holywells’.
In 1935, following the demise of a senior family member ‘John Dupuis Cobbold’, the estate was broken down into ‘lots’ and sold off to various individuals and bodies. ‘Holywells Park’ was purchased by Lord Woodbridge (Arthur Churchman) and gifted to the town of Ipswich in 1936. At this time a farm was located on the boundaries of the park, and being part of the parcel land gifted to the town. ‘Ipswich Borough Council (IBC)’ rented the farm to a local dairy farmer. Little was known about a ‘hall’ shaped building tucked inside the woodland between the park and farm, and council records indicate a request by the farmer to create a cowmen’s house. However since the farmer was behind with his rent the request was turned down. Subsequently the Scout master of a newly formed group (Mr Pickersgill) requested use of the semi derelict building, to which the council agreed at 10 shillings per year. In recent years the group has been struggling to raise funds due to the constrained financial climate. An early question was raised to a letterhead/stationary discrepancy. Why is the premises referred to as a ‘Rackets Court’?